Tuesday, April 7, 2026

Wordplay

I try so hard to sit them down at the table.
Let’s talk. Can we arrive at some understanding
I want to gently ask but, no – they hoot at me
hang upside down from the tree tops
 
like children you want washed, brushed
and seated at lunch but are they having it!
They prance and play hard to get.
Catch me if you can, they holler – laughing

leaping – just out of reach. Of course
they give me a run for my money
but where is the money, I ask you
and here I am – sitting and chasing them

growing my backside rather than a
body of literary work, increasing many
times over my health and mortality risks
for imagined immortality through

impossibly perfect prose and poetry
ah, gentle reader, this much I’ll say
beware of all that words can do and
the games they can make you play.

4 comments: