Thursday, April 30, 2026

A RUBAIYAT FOR RETURNING

A ten-year old December anticipation

turns into suffocating frustration

A black smog has smothered sunshine

Home is now an alien destination. 


I've come to see a face growing old.

For too long, I've ignored time's cold

finiteness. Finally, I submit to its grip 

to return to nativity's primal fold. 


I came to stay, but strayed apace.

To flee the tarry air licking my face.

Finding solace in Buddhist viharas and the

shade of trees, gleaning calm and a bit of grace. 


I return to the face I've come to see. 

The first home that housed me, my first tree. 

The air clears up, I take shelter in my roost,

forgetting time and its limits. At last, free. 

2 comments:

  1. so beautiful, Bhaswati - a lovely coming to rest for April as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thought crossed my mind, too, Giti, as well as DR itself, with the final stanza. This is in a way my first poetry home. A safe space with so much camaraderie and learning. Thank you, always. :-)

      Delete