I try to measure the losses I incurred
in the years I stayed away from you.
All the heartache I couldn't unburden to you
after disagreements with my partner.
All the tears that dried in my eye sockets,
without your shoulder to soak them.
All the markets we didn't wander through,
you embarrassing me with your hard bargaining.
All the plays we missed watching together in the
twilight generosity of our unforgiving city.
All the holidays we'd dreamed of but couldn't
go on together, our timing never quite synching.
All the summers I couldn't bring you to my garden
so you could pluck blackberries and see the logs
zucchinis turn into when left, like time, unattended.
All the patio evenings we didn’t infect the neighbourhood
with laughter and echoes of half-eaten songs.
The years took away years from your body and mine.
Time dries on us. Our losses spill over.
So poignant and full of love this one!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Anannya. :)
Deleteso beautiful.. reminded me of yeats 'when you are old '
ReplyDeleteThank you, Rashmi. That means a lot. :)
DeleteI feel the ache in this poem, Bhaswati
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Charu.
DeleteAching and haunting. Lovely poem.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Geethanjali.
DeleteTime dries on us. Love that image Bhaswati.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Giti. :)
Delete