Sunday, April 26, 2026

I want to write you poetry (couplets)

I want to write you poetry,
but earnestness is hard for me.
Instead, I ask you if you've eaten,
show you other things I've written,
cheer you on from the back row
and hold your hand after the show.
We laugh at silly inside jokes,
mimic hoots and baas and croaks,
wave cheekily across the tracks
with dance still in our legs and backs.
I laugh because you always bring
too many sweaters. And here's the thing—
I want to show you what I write,
so even if these aren't quite
the lovely words of poets past
I think I'll show you this at last,
for I want to write you poetry
though earnestness is hard for me.



4 comments:

  1. How beautiful is this! And I love the clever way in which you opened and closed with the same idea/words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely.. especially the way it circles back

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is piece of heart.. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this. It rings true when it comes to sharing our words. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete