Wednesday, April 29, 2026

Anondo Bhoirobi - a translation

 

(An attempted translation of Shakti Chattopadhyay's Anondo Bhoirobi - original follows)  


Anondo Bhoirobi

Now in that room the picture hangs loose 
at monsoon’s end not how it used to be
the garden held rain-pecked flowers
Anondo Bhoirobi.
 
Now the pastures miss the shepherd boy
the banyan misses crying to his flute 
but still the rain spades at the cloud
carves out lightning grooves
 
Did they not know it is these times of loss
that leap and snatch the rooster’s red tuft
did they not know what a waste of heart
the miser’s left hand
 
Did they not know the city is more iconic
much more than this heart’s abode
did they not know as much as I had known 
from fingernails to shore
 
Now in that room the picture hangs loose 
at monsoon’s end not how it used to be
the garden held rain-pecked flowers
Anondo Bhoirobi.

 

আনন্দ ভৈরবী 
- শক্তি চট্টোপাধ্যায়
 
আজ সেই ঘরে এলায়ে পড়েছে ছবি
এমন ছিলনা আষাঢ় শেষের বেলা
উদ্যানে ছিল বরষা-পীড়িত ফুল
আনন্দ ভৈরবী।

আজ সেই গোঠে আসেনা রাখাল ছেলে
কাঁদেনা মোহনবাঁশিতে বটের মূল
এখনো বরষা কোদালে মেঘের ফাঁকে
বিদ্যুৎ-রেখা মেলে।
 
সে কি জানিতনা এমনি দুঃসময়
লাফ মেরে ধরে মোরগের লাল ঝুঁটি
সে কি জানিতনা হৃদয়ের অপচয়
কৃপণের বামমুঠি।
 
সে কি জানিতনা যত বড় রাজধানী
তত বিখ্যাত নয় এ হৃদয়পুর
সে কি জানিতনা আমি তারে যত জানি
আনখ সমুদ্দুর।
 
আজ সেই ঘরে এলায়ে পড়েছে ছবি
এমন ছিলনা আষাঢ় শেষের বেলা
উদ্যানে ছিল বরষা-পীড়িত ফুল
আনন্দ ভৈরবী।


 ❤

This is one of my most favourite poems of Shakti Chattopadhyay. I was intimidated but also tempted. Critiques, comments, suggestions are most welcome. I hope the English version will also be enjoyable to those who don't read Bengali. 

3 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed reading.. I do love translations as I do the beauty of the Bengali script that I do not understand. Thank you for this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this poem and your translation brought such a tune to it, love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Thank you for bringing it to a larger readership.

    ReplyDelete