Wednesday, April 1, 2026

RETURNING TO YOU

I'd been (day)dreaming about this moment.

To lie in the empty space next to you.

In your new normal, the bed is your centre

of gravity, the anchor that tethers you

and allows you to wander off. You hold

your phone, the hand-held messiah

leading you through Egypt's tombs

and village gardens in West Bengal.

In the smile that surfacing along the

crow's feet on your face, I spy the joy 

of seasoned globetrotters, wanderers 

who always found more meaning in 

journeying than arriving. 


I think of how I've travelled twelve thousand 

kilometres to be here. To find my still, 

stationary centre of being. To return 

to you who always made room for me. 

In the safety of your womb.

In the lucid light of your eyes.

In the ever-widening paddy field of your heart,

moist, emerald green.

On your bed, the galaxy that shelters us both.

8 comments:

  1. What a solid, calm, centring and beautiful poem. What a fantastic beginning to your practice this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anannaya. Returning here feels like homecoming, always. :-)

      Delete
  2. the ever widening paddy field of your heart :) Hello again, Bhaswati - a homecoming indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How calming, even in the longing. And I love "the paddy field of your heart" and "the journeying than arriving." Thanks, Bhaswati.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Geethanjali. As you reminded me, some longings are indeed calming. :-)

      Delete
    2. noted exactly those images in my reading..

      how beautiful Bhaswati.. I feel the safety you convey in this poem

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Charu. Your comment means so much to me.

      Delete