I’m reading about plants once more.
I left botany behind in school.
But now, a tendril to explore
the field. And maybe I’ll unspool
the personhood we closely guard –
we feel, we speak, we think, and act.
There’s little thought for those we’ve barred,
as we refuse to see as fact
the lives of those who cannot talk
to tell us their own mind. In learning
about sentience, I saw philosophy walk
home to science. Like roots, turning
towards water, my mind reaches for
any field that will tell me more.
I just finished reading Zoë Schlanger’s book The Light Eaters: How the Unseen World of Plant Intelligence Offers a New Understanding of Life on Earth. A fascinating book in its own right, it also fits neatly into some research I'm doing in my own discipline. Time well spent!
"I saw philosophy walk home to science" did something for me. Thanks. :)
ReplyDelete"......Like roots, turning
ReplyDeletetowards water, my mind reaches for
any field that will tell me more."
This is the essence of your mind, Zefeni. Always nourish it. :)
"...the lives of those who cannot talk to tell us their own mind." Thanks for this.
ReplyDelete