Friday, April 3, 2026

Rule of 50

if it doesn’t grip you within p. 50
back to the shelf the novel goes
wrote Nancy Pearl on the art of
reading a novel while staying true
to your heart and if you’re over 50
subtract your age from 100 and within
those many pages, if the novel hasn’t
cast its spell – it’s a death knell.
If, gentle reader, you’re over 50 like me
and have waved limbs to infinity
in pursuit of things never meant to be
could you apply Rule of 50 to your life
here and now to see what goes
so life onward from here gently flows?

6 comments:

  1. Ah, delightful. I'll keep that in mind. For reading and other things. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that rule, I needed permission. Lovely work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charu! How much I love this :) My dad always said this, as an example of the fact that the best things required patience and engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Charu, I have "waved limbs to infinity" and love your rule and your poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of that rule, but such a good one! And I love the way you adapted it to life.

    ReplyDelete