What wisdom lies in those boxes
I can’t say. Stories folded into
Silks, sweat lining into the borders,
Witty repartee shining from gold
Thread and sharp orders printed
Into patterns, all this lies as much
In my fingers pleating new drapes,
Ankles skirting new edges, shoulder
Blades skimming new necklines.
What wisdom then, in stacking and
Hoarding and packing. What strength lies
In lifting each sari, feeling it
Against my face - the cottons the
Tussars, the embroidery, the lace -
I can’t say. Those boxes don’t store
Away the rustle of her quick steps
But I can hear her on a good day -
The bustle and movement like
An outline of the house and us,
Stick figures, snug, fitted in. More
Than wisdom lies in those boxes, less
Than memory, something yet to wear.
Ah, Giti, a poem after my heart. More than wisdom, less than memory, yes!
ReplyDeleteRight? I started this one thinking I would find some wisdom in memory but that´s not where it went.
Delete“I can hear her on a good day” - we do need to attune our inner ears to hearing all our mothers, then we might hope for the good days to be more frequent.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful poem Giti. <3
Thank you, Jayasree. I always dream of mom as young and bustling. Strange how the image of her in her last 15 years seems not to be so stamped on my mind.
DeleteThe image of your mother as "an outline of the house" is so evocative of the care and effort she must have put into managing it.
ReplyDeleteThank you for noticing, Sameer! I had to stop and think how to convey this sense and when this image came to me it seemed weird but just right :D
DeleteAgree with Bhaswati.. I too am drawn to Ma and sari poems and this one is so beautiful too
ReplyDeleteThose boxes don’t store
Away the rustle of her quick steps
Ah! So lovely
I remember your poem-burst about your mother, Charu. We are all daughters grieving and celebrating our mothers.
Deletethis is my favourite line also - that distinct rustling is such a huge part of the sensory experience of a sari and of the memory of a person who wore it
DeleteLovely, just lovely!
ReplyDeleteThank you Geethanjali :)
DeleteThe repetition of the "I can't say"...ufff heartwrenching
ReplyDeleteSuch a meditation, I can just feel your attention
ReplyDelete