Monday, April 13, 2026

Is it time

 

Is it time, I wonder, to put away
All evidence of winter, now
That April is here. All things
Red gold or green have long
Since been laid between sheets
And boxed to be reopened next
Year when decorated anew the
House bursts afresh with cheer. Is it
Time then to tuck these branches
Of ivy and pine, silvered and pearled
With berries the colour of wine?
There is darkness still, though
Less as the days grow long. Isn’t
It nice to have a few points of
Shine to distill winter courage,
In crystal refractions through the
Flapping wings of the night?
Easter brought snow as expected,
The white encrusting the silver
Before spring is resurrected.
Maybe it’s time to let go, repaint
The last signs of winter and wait For things to grow.

6 comments:

  1. So enjoyed the rhythm of this poem that reflects on the rhythms of nature, Giti. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rhyme and rhythm, as you know, Charu :) At least I can find it in poetry if nowehere else.

      Delete
  2. Such an evocative winter-spring poem, Giti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bhaswati. I find myself more and more in awe of winter.

      Delete
  3. I love the change of seasons here - the contrasts are really vivid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are vivid to the eye as well I suppose, hence. Thank you for reading, Geethanjali :)

      Delete