Sunday, April 12, 2026

Poetry as Practice

Committing to the challenge of

Writing a poem a day through 

This month sometimes feels like

Welcoming a difficult guest, one I 

Revere and even adore, but who 

Makes incessant demands on my

Time, almost all waking moments

Even when drifting off to sleep 

______


I must confess being a slave to 

Vanity, seeking the clever words

While avoiding the verbose ones

Searching for “untrammelled” my

Mind only supplies “uncontrolled”

An unfortunate recent reminder of 

Exploding bombs; shaking off

Shivers, I reach for poetry’s salve

______


A poem is not mere tessellation

Interlocking each idea to another

Repeating shapes without a gap

It breathes in the spaces around 

Every word, breathing out images

That not just ripple outwards and

Towards the heart of the reader

But become libations to the sky. 

3 comments:

  1. ah yes... how it interferes with sleep.. I too find myself constantly looking for poems in everything, everywhere
    thank you for this lovely documentation of this time of the year maybe for all of us

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful. Heavily relatable yet so fresh to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pressure of a poem-a-day is beginning to get to me, too, so this poem came as a therapy, Jayasree. You've conveyed the feeling with such poise and candour.

    ReplyDelete