Thursday, April 9, 2026

8. Resistance

In science class, they told me 

I is current.

What they didn't tell me: 

I stands for intensité de courant.

The intensity of the current

Is what's current.


Courant,

Not to be confused with

Courage.

Courant comes from running.

Courage comes from the heart. 


R stands for Resistance.

Its symbol is Omega. 

Its unit is Ohm.

What is Resistance?

I don't quite remember.

It's something to do with

Impeding the I

Which would, unimpeded,

Run all over the place.

The resistor says, wait, 

Stay a while.

The resistor gets heated. 

The resistor burns out. 

But till the second that it breaks,

It does something incredible:

It holds back the rushing 

Torrent of energy.

Energy: the capacity.

Power: the speed

Of change

Slowed down by 

Resistance.


Work must happen.

Time must pass.

I must flow.

The Resistor ensures

No damage is done. 

6 comments:

  1. brought back memories of my physics and electronics classes that I disliked but, surprisingly, I liked reading about these in the poem

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought back memories of my physics lessons as well. The part about resistance is a good and timely reminder - "the resistor ensures no damage is done". It inspired a haiku for me:

    peace march
    a soap bubble pops
    on a brick wall

    But march we must.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no bigger compliment I could hope for than being an inspiration for a haiku, especially one as relatable and necessary as that one. Thank you, Geethanjali. :)

      Delete
  3. Sameer, brilliantly pulled through metaphor! I kept wondering when it would collapse but it didn´t :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Giti! I'm glad it didn't sound forced.

      Delete