Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Scraping

I have always been scraping.

 

Scraping dinosaur scabs

from wounded knees,

before healing was done –

A habit that stayed.

 

Scraping off ‘malai’ deliciously burnt,

stuck to the bottom

of the thick aluminium pan,

sprinkled with sugar crystals,

delighting my childhood palette.

 

Scraping labels from bottles

and women - Miss, Mrs, Ms…

pointing to which man she belonged.

 

Scraping memories from

the clay tablet of mind,

This is not a script

I want deciphered.

 

Scraping melanin from my skin

so, I could fit into cruel fairy tales,

 with a treacherous fairness.

 

Scraping the vine of desire,

its tentacles entwined deep

with the tissue of the heart,

changing the course of the

red flow of pulsating life.

 

I’ve always been scraping,

the way life scraped away

you from me…

8 comments:

  1. Harry you are brilliant, scabs and burnt malai.. so similar, I would've never thought until you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this rather powerful, Harvinder, and the ending is heart wrenching yet brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. wow wow wow. This is brilliant and so hardhitting. Scraping labels from bottles and women... wow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! "Dinosaur scabs" is a phrase I've never thought of but evokes the look and feel of scabs so well!

    ReplyDelete