Rukmani Amma lives alone.
She drinks Boost every morning.
She walks to a point and then
commutes by shared auto to work.
She cleans the Theatre
fills water in the mud pitcher
and the plastic can. She brings tea
coffee, lemon juice for those who ask
and keeps track of everyone
urging us to eat, rest, work with care.
One morning, Rukmani Amma observed
that I usually wear earrings
but that day, being an auspicious Friday
I had worn neither earrings
nor a pottu. She looked more
displeased when I smiled.
I reassure Rukmani Amma
that my Amma will be happy with her
surveillance. And we laugh.
When it is time to leave
Rukmani Amma says I am her Amma
and she is my ponnu and I am her ponnu
and she is my Amma. We take photos
that I wonder where I will send her.
Call me sometimes, she says.
I feed my number into her phone
and save it. The Tamarind tree
that flowers abundantly but stands alone
I’m that tree, says Rukmani Amma.
No comments:
Post a Comment