Saturday, April 4, 2026

Second Puberty

as if one were not enough
we get to have a “second puberty”
this time it’s no gawky teenage party
hormonal turbulence and absence
metabolic misdemeanours
anxiety – check
insomnia – check
burgeoning belly fat – check
mood crashes – check
morning slumber dates – check
chin hair – haven’t checked   
brain smog worse than Delhi lore
period sagas that beat TV soaps
skin that’s drier than deserts
patience that’s worn really thin
give me a glimmer, I ask
and my body says
hmmmm and haaaaa
that, sadly, is the end of this verse but
believe me, this second puberty is worse.

8 comments:

  1. Uff, Charu, when is your book out? I want to read a book of poems by you so badly. This one's a pure gem. I want you hug you for saying it with such hilarity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the universe is listening deeply... thank you Bhaswati, your encouraging words always keep me going

      Delete
    2. This is so relatable charu !
      You’ve put into words what so many of us feel but can’t express — thank you so much!
      Waiting for many more relatable and inspirational poems 🫂💕 Thank you

      Delete
    3. Always good to know one is not alone... Thank you :-)

      Delete
  2. Pure turbulence. Written so well. And yes, to Bhaswati's note!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is put together so well! Feels like every word fits together just right. These lines in particular felt phonetically electrifying:

    brain smog worse than Delhi lore
    period sagas that beat TV soaps

    Just something about the way the words and images bend together reminded me of "Aquamarine" by Black Thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sameer.. I looked them up.. so interesting

      Delete