Thursday, April 2, 2026

Lessons in love

As a member of a lending library
you don’t own but borrow books. 
Bring them home, read, be read.
Because there is no way to read
without giving in to the books.  

Sometimes you renew them 
seemingly endlessly. You pay the
dues, you pay overdue fines. 
In the end, you always return them
even when you return to them. 


7 comments:

  1. :) The tragedy of returning books! I still dream of books I have to pay huge fines on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did with the final two lines -- returning books even while returning to them, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got one of those books right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the lessons in love! So layered, ADG. Sometimes we pay the fine, sometimes we renew endlessly and sometimes we just lose ourselves in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) And sometimes we lose them… and still don’t learn our lesson!

      Delete
  5. love this one, the act of return is always such a precious one

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those last two lines! One of those moments where the little coincidences of literal meaning and idiom feel like jigsaw pieces clicking into place.

    ReplyDelete