Monday, April 6, 2026

Kotodama, the word spirit

 

In the midst of an argument
about the noisy neighbour,
“Every being has a spirit”, you say.
A tree, a leaf, a rabbit, a raccoon,
and so it goes
that objects too have spirits,
the sagging carton that carried my books
across two oceans and a couple of seas,
the old ceramic pot with the brown-green glaze
chipped at the rim
revealing a little of its coarse white inside,
Grandpa’s rocking chair with the bamboo weave
split wide in the centre of the seat.
 
What about words, yours and mine,
sounds that can soften stones,
make rain, river the fields and harvest the grain.
Mustn’t words too carry the burden
of a future, as yet unborn?

And so, I scream here,
the sounds that carry the spirits
to hold together,
to sing, to make,
to birth, to chant
the many names
of love.
 
 
----
Kotodama – 言霊(Japanese)-the mysterious power of words to alter reality (from Shintoism)

11 comments:

  1. make rain, river the fields - lovely images bring this alive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the kind of poem I wish I had written. Such a beauty, especially the second and third stanzas. I'll return to it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so love the interweaving of philosophy and imagery in this vivid poem.. thank you for this, Geethanjali..
    feel much hope about continuing my negotiations with words that tend to play so hard to get.. or dance just out of my reach

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has happened again, Geethanjali! The other day, a comment I was writing under Anannya's haibun led me to my poem for the day and today the same happened with the comment I left under your poem... loving writing with the community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a real connect and blessing. To be able to find the next poem as you are writing the commnet. Yes, writing with the community is inspiring!

      Delete
  5. I think this one will haunt me for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one gives me hope when it is hard to have hope. Spirits of words may yet make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the hope as poets! Thanks, ADG.

    ReplyDelete