Tuesday, April 21, 2026

Intimations

Sometimes I turn as if I've heard a bell

and listen. I hear its echo, or so

it seems, like a stone dropped in a deep well


Almost silence, then voices hush and swell 

words whispered in a language I don't know

except one. I hear it clear as a bell


Something's very near, a familiar smell

brings back some memory of long ago

ripples after a stone dropped into a well


Close enough to touch, cool caress felt

inside the dream, some music very low

I turn turn turn and wake before the bell


Lips as light as snowflakes drift and melt

The hand that takes my hand is very cold

pulls me to the edge of the secret well


Whisper, a breath, It's almost time to go

So close. Death, is it this patient and slow?

Somewhere there is a ringing, like a bell

The sound of the moon. It's fallen in the well




3 comments:

  1. So well crafted and such depth of expression Gitanjali!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is philosophical and magical, engages all the senses and yet, brings in death to the mind. Thanks, Gitanjali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mystical imagery and the way it is written...Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete