Wednesday, April 8, 2026

Exhale

 


Before the day claims me

With its inevitable over analysis

By every expert of every stripe

About who really blinked first

The airwaves clogging up

As all sorts of predictions 

Spell out how profoundly 

Uncertainty has mangled

Our collective wellbeing 

Let me just lie here, still

And silent, recollecting 

My yoga teacher’s voice 

As he exhorts me regularly 

To keep my focus on the

Length of the out breath.




6 comments:

  1. You are right if, if can only keep breathing in and out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anannya.
      I sat up in bed to write this, but only after I had lain for several minutes after a restless night, reminding myself that breathing is the very essence of life.

      Delete
  2. The contrast works well between the first and second half of the poem...
    "inevitable over analysis
    By every expert of every stripe"
    and the "Let me just lie here"
    .... loved them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charu.
      I live in Dubai, and as you can imagine, last night was anxiety laden. I wrote this as a reminder to myself. Even breathing, which we take for granted, requires Riyaaz.

      Delete
  3. Firstly, big hugs to you, Jayasree. Last night was a tough one for all of us, but I can only imagine how much worse it must be for you, living where you do. Thank you for giving us the gift of this beautiful poem, despite the circumstances. Your yoga teacher's counsel is the remedy we all need to remember in these times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only way to cope - the yoga teacher's advice. "Before the day claims me" - written so well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete