Tuesday, April 14, 2026

CITIZEN KALI

Look, it's here, within India, just 

like Jharkhand and Bihar are. 


My mother's house help pulls 

out India’s map on her phone 

to show her landlord where 

West Bengal is. The man has 

been asking her to vacate the 

house, fearing she could be an 

infiltrator from a neighbouring country. 


On my mother's altar, I look at 

a printed image of goddess Kali. 

Frayed, fragile, barely held by 

a glass frame. My grandmother

had brought it when they re-drew

the country’s map, a possession 

her mother-in-law had entrusted

her for ritual worship. 


Kali, the goddess of kaal/time, 

Kali, the harbinger of change, 

Kali, the ruthless sovereign of destruction. 

Kali, a tender mother, too, 

purveyor of the universe. 


I look at her warn-out image on 

the altar and ponder on her citizenship. 

She laughs and tells me how she morphed 

into paper, and afloat the river grandma  

carried in her tears, sneaked across the border.

When they asked for her papers, 

she simply stuck her tongue out at them. 


I look at that sharp tongue and silently 

pray for my mother’s house help to acquire 

Kali’s metamorphic powers. 

To be, like Citizen Kali, an ace grimacer. 

10 comments:

  1. wow, so moving and well written .. hope she gets her way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For now, she gets to stay where she was, Charu. The mysterious ways in which the universe works. Thank you. :)

      Delete
  2. There is so much I love about this poem, "warn-out" and "ace grimacer" being the top favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very moving and powerful at the same time. I like the way you've brought Kali sticking her tongue out and Citizen Kali to the everyday prayer. Thank you for this. I do hope things work out for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Geethanjali. For now, things have worked out for her. Fingers crossed. :-)

      Delete
  4. So full, so intense,so much movement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping to read and comment, Gitanjali. :-)

      Delete
  5. Citizen Kali the ace grimacer :D Such an egalitarian owning of powerful symbols, Bhaswati! An entire revolution right here. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Giti. This poem quite mysteriously moved in Kali's direction after I began it; I hadn't thought of it in this way, but am I glad she entered this discourse!

      Delete