The peepal tree has
burst into new pink leaves.
It filters the hot sunlight
into burnished gold.
There is not a hint of green
in this rugged old tree. Its roots
circling out in gnarly feet.
There is nothing youthful here.
But on its branches is the pink
of infancy. Dimpling delight
shaking in the breeze.
No matter how old and deep it grows
how many losses it grieves.
This Peepal adds a ring to its trunk
and renews itself in leaves.
Awww, this is so you, I just love it
ReplyDeleteBeautiful as beautiful can be. The third stanza feels like something I want to hug. Thank you.
ReplyDeletethe pink leaf stage is my favourite I think and then the pale green stage arrives and so on... love peepals and poems on peepals
ReplyDeleteThis poem is very hopeful. I lost a Peepal last week and now, this tree is starting its renewal. Thanks, ADG. :)
ReplyDeleteah ah ah.. I love "adds a ring to its trunk".
ReplyDelete