Friday, April 3, 2026

after the show (curtal sonnet)

I thank the drag queen as she leaves the stage.

She had perched upon a bar stool and,

amid abandoned corsetry, she’d said

that drag, for her, was an antidote to rage,

to ward off those who didn’t understand

that she was free and loved, while they’d been fed

lies about the people she called family.

But in this bar, a soft place to land,

I see her lift her chin and look ahead.

“Great show,” I say as she passes me,

“Thank you.”

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back Arya! I didn't even know about the curtal sonnet. Just read up on it. Will have to try writing one, inspired by you. I like how contemporary the feel of the curtal sonnet is and as it works in your sonnet. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to what Anannya said. I learned about the curtal sonnet from you (thank you!). I love the economy of your composition and the ending, in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.. I too looked up curtal sonnet .. Liked this poem much

    ReplyDelete