Monday, April 13, 2026

Aaj Apun Likhega

On some days you need the pen to punch the page

You write with the irreverence of the gunda of the ilaaka

Who shoves words around so they have an impact


Who grabs a statement by the collar and shakes the metaphor out of it


Who ignores sentences passed by the law because he can


And it's not just force but something deeper at play


That allows for a thug-ish poetry day


Or a real mawali to hold his ground


It's the silent consent of everyone around.

6 comments:

  1. Haha! I loved it. Incidentally, I'm in Bombay right now, surrounded by the aamchi-mumbai lingo. Special bow to the double entendre in "sentences passed by the law". Let's go rogue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gangotryi, so glad this poem could add to your experience of the city. Let the tapori-ness never die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such fun to read. I'm sensing you had similar fun writing it. "Sentences passed by the law" stood out for me too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best one so far, Sameer! I loved every line.

    ReplyDelete