Saturday, April 11, 2026

A Camus Treatise

 

Maybe he wasn´t wrong, after all. Ironic.

Given recent contentions to the contrary.

He wasn´t wrong – just prescient – in

The beach-hazed heat-crazed brain-dazed

Histrionic fit of killing some nameless

Faceless voiceless person and then

Killing him again and again and

Again and again because here we

Are. Lifeless. Graceless. Why

Do we not weep, how do we not

Cry for our mothers even as they are

Buried under rubble falling glass

Shattered stars bits of moon chipped

Off as Artemis flies past. Maybe

He was right, just not strong enough

To tell us to our faces. That we are strangers

To each other. Bare headed, evicted,

Cast out. What peace what place

Will accept us now that we have

Splintered every home. Outsiders.

Alone. 

8 comments:

  1. " What peace what place / Will accept us now that we have /
    Splintered every home." This is so powerful, Giti. I would end the poem right there, but what you have here also works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give it a think, thanks Bhaswati. I put ´the outsider´in there partly because of the theme but also because it is the other title of the book The Stranger. Maybe that´s too hamfisted, its true.

      Delete
  2. Such a powerful poem...
    Thank you for this, Giti

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so powerful, Giti. And an honest look at what we are now - lifeless, graceless, and splintering homes. And weep we must, at the powerlessness over what happens again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt this in Camus´ story, Geethanjali - how he shoots a dead man four times. Seemed such an image of our times.

      Delete
  4. Wow!!! I would love to recite this! Of course I agree with the others about how powerful it is.

    I also liked how you drop the word "stranger" towards the end, because it served as a hint for someone like me who didn't get the allusion of the "beach-hazed heat-crazed brain-dazed fit of killing someone faceless" in the first round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness it would be such an honour if you would recite it! Please do and share it with me - I am a terrible reader of my own poetry. And yay for the recognition :D I wonder if adding ´the outsider´ at the end was too much.

    ReplyDelete