Sunday, April 5, 2026

5. Noor

My cat will bite

My laptop screen.

He isn’t starving,

He’s been fed.

A sniff, a rub,

A curious nibble.

What goes through

His little head?

 

He’s thick and heavy.

His skinny tail

Seems like it’s

From a different cat,

Tucked between

His sausage legs

His very

First day

Home.

 

Fussy, fuzzy, scaredy-cat,

A nervous scurry

(He’s seen me),

Wary of

My yearning talons

Swooping down

To snatch him up

And sit him on my knees.

 

Tubby boy.

Rolling now.

Snowy chin

And husky voice

Meowing for us yesterday

For the

First time.

 

When it’s dark,

We hear him breathe

Through the walls

As if to say,

“I’m right here.

“I will not die.

“Not just yet.

“Not this time.”

10 comments:

  1. I love this so much! It felt like I was in the room Noor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every word of this poem resonated in my newly minted cat-mom soul.
    The last lines feel universally poignant in these charged times, "I will not die. Not just yet. Not this time."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this resonated. We lost our first cat recently, so those last lines really came from a vulnerable place. Congratulations on the new cat-motherhood!

      Delete
  3. am not a cat or any animal person but I liked this poem and the way it has been crafted

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sameer! A poem after my cat mom heart. And hugs for your loss ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Giti, for the response and the condolences ❤️

      Delete
  5. Oh I love Noor! I have an almost 16-year old calico, very weak now, and this is so much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Geethanjali! Also, wow, 16 years! You must have given and be giving them SO much love.

      Delete