Sunday, April 2, 2023

THE WEIGHT AND WAIT OF LONGING

 


                          (i)

At first, longing is weightless and

carefree. The way snowflakes fall

without as much as a murmur before

they succumb to fate's gravity. The

way Chopin strings night's feathers

into whispering nocturnes. Afterwards

longing grows into a pile of off-colour mess.



                         (ii)

In a folk tale, an old childless Baltic

couple fashions a snow girl out of that

pile. Their longing breathes life into

her and the blue girl, sparkling and pale

becomes the crystal pride of the little

village. In the winter of their breaths

the couple gains a flesh-n-blood progeny.

When spring comes, the girl's noiseless

tongue shrinks and dries up before she

dissolves into the ground she rose from.


                           (iii)

On our front yard, we gather clumps of

snow and make a sphere. Two red Christmas

balls give it eyes, an orange plastic cone

becomes its nose. An Oh Canada hat on the

head completes the snowman's body. We

send his photo to our niece who lives in

a snow-less land far away. Three springs

later, she's a teenager. The "cute

snowman" melts from her memory.

 

                             (iv)

We check the weight and wait of our longing.

Immeasurable.

Eternal.

4 comments:

  1. This is so moving Bhaswati. I like especially the connections over time space. I was wondering if the line about progenitive windfall could be written to say that when the couple had a child of warm flesh and blood - or some such to contrast the snow girl's cold but sparkling life that melts and disappears in spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anannya, thank you so much for the feedback! I wasn't quite sure of some of the word choices. I will make that change.

      Delete
  2. Years ago, when I first moved to Chicago, I witnessed my snowfall on December 4th, while nursing a still fresh heartbreak. The weight of the snow made me feel like I need to wait, too. Many years and a whole new relationship later, your wordplay took me right where the snow had left me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this reflective comment, Raii. It's funny how the cyclical patterns of nature can mirror the cycles in our own lives.

      Delete