They say megh malhar can bring foggy monsoon;
Will it come if, in B flat, I sing "Foggy Monsoon"?
In this land of big thambarans and snappy takhalluses,
Can I name myself "King Foggy Monsoon?"
My American sitcoms taught me about the Boy Scouts.
My grandfather's cook brought the kindling, foggy monsoon.
The British rejoice when the sun comes here
But why bless where you're heading, foggy monsoon?
Bars in train windows, condensation in motion.
I brought fresh, dry bedding, foggy monsoon.
I raised parrots to tell me my future.
I could smell, the day they took wing, foggy monsoon.
The water boils under this Andhra sun:
Nature spirits busy building foggy monsoon.
I never knew my ancestors' names
But even without them, I'm mapping foggy monsoon.
Wet T-shirt contest, Darcy emerges;
Nice season for a white wedding, foggy monsoon.
The blood of the gods, the earth smells like you.
My nose and my tongue are dreading foggy monsoon.
You taught me the words of Farida Khanum.
When you left, it dulled the sting, foggy monsoon.
Old man, you imprisoned yourself in this museum.
"What's this on this porcelain Ming? Foggy monsoon?"
I hated the See-Saw, I hated the slides,
But why did you rust up the swing, foggy monsoon?
Emily Dickinson wrote for every no one,
Illuminated by lightning, foggy monsoon.
The Wind rises; long knives too, Sameer.
The future screams. What's coming? Foggy monsoon?
(For Vivek. Thank you to Samyak.)
This was such a delight to read. What a charming confluence of images, territories and emotions.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Bhaswati!
DeleteWet T-shirt contest, Darcy emerges;
ReplyDeleteNice season for a white wedding, foggy monsoon.
You taught me the words of Farida Khanum.
When you left, it dulled the sting, foggy monsoon.
Loved these two couplets, and all the places the poem took me.
Yay, thank you!
DeleteYou taught me the words of Farida Khanum.
ReplyDeleteWhen you left, it dulled the sting, foggy monsoon.
Gorgeous sher! You have upped the ante by starting off with a ghazal I see :)
Haha, thank you, Anannya! And yes, ghazals have been setting up shop in my head this term, as you know all too well.
Delete