Saturday, April 8, 2023

Death of the Memento Mori

 

Let's start at the bottom with the light.
It's hard to get so I'll just explain: it's
A metaphor. You know. One of those
Thingies that pretends to be more. So
The light at the bottom comes from above.
It represents subversion. Simply put, this
Is my self-assembled, self-spawned, self-
Explained version of love. As still-lifes go, mine
Is not still. It was made to travel. To help
Distance and absence unravel. I fill
My canvas with gifts. Frame-wrapped
Things that hang in your home. The owl
Glares, the owl dares you to think the fine
Metal enamel glass wood velvet brings
Reminders of Death. This is not a work
Of endings. This is a canvas of self-initiated
Paint-created, oil-lubricated bendings. 

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Shubhro :) When I was painting this, I already had the spot in my sister's house where it would go.

      Delete
  2. "As still-lifes go, mine
    Is not still. It was made to travel. To help
    Distance and absence unravel." These lines are simply sublime, Giti. Such a fine poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bhaswati :) I think of this painting as a small act of rebellion.

      Delete