Sunday, April 16, 2023

Bengali Translation of Jim Harrison's poem: Vows

Vows


I feel my failure intensely
as if it were a vital organ
the gods grew from the side of my head.
You can't cover it with a hat and I no longer
can sleep on that side it's so tender.
I wasn't quite faithful enough
to carry this sort of weight up the mountain.
When I took my vows at nineteen
I had no idea that gods were so merciless.
Fear makes for good servants
and bravery is fraudulent. When I awoke
I wasn't awake enough.

শপথ


আমার ব্যর্থতাকে আমি প্রবল ভাবে অনুভব করছি

যেন সে আমার শরীরের অত্যাবশ্যক অঙ্গ বুঝি।

কত শত ঈশ্বর আমার মাথার পাশ দিয়ে গড়ে বেরিয়েছে

তুমি টুপি দিয়ে ঢাকতে পারবে না তাকে আর আমিও আর

ওই পাশ ফিরে শুতে পারি না, এতই তুলতুলে সে সব।

আমি তো এত বিশ্বস্ত ছিলুম না

যে এই ভার বয়ে পাহাড়ের চুড়োয় নিয়ে যেতে পারব।

উনিশ বছর বয়সে যখন শপথ নিয়েছিলুম

তখন কি জানতুম যে ঈশ্বরেরা এত ক্ষমাহীন?

ভীতির সাফল্য একনিষ্ঠ পরিচারক তৈরিতে

আর সাহসিকতা প্রতারণা করে। জেগে দেখি

আমি মোটেই বিশেষ জেগে নেই ।





link to the original poem: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/91828/vows

No comments:

Post a Comment