Many white ones
over a calm lake
on a very quiet day,
all strangely motionless
as if hanging from
long invisible wires,
or had once existed
in the painted sky
of an Italian landscape
which I could never afford,
but never mind.
One of the clouds just moved.
স্থিরচিত্র মেঘে
সাদা, সে বেশ কয়েকটা
নিশ্চল ঝিলের ওপর ভেসে
এক নিরুপদ্রব দিনে,
সবাই নিস্পন্দ আশ্চর্যরকম
অদৃশ্য সুতো দিয়ে বাঁধা
ঝুলন্ত আনতশিরে,
অথবা তারা ছিলই বুঝি
আকাশের গায়ে আঁকা
ভিনদেশে কোনো উপত্যকায়
যা আমার সামর্থ্যের বাইরে,
থাক, সে যাক গে।
একটা মেঘ এইমাত্র গেল সরে।
link to the original poem: https://plumepoetry.com/still-life-with-clouds-and-eyes-on-the-prize/
I really like your word choices for the translation. নিরুপদ্রব দিনে is so good, for instance. I wonder if 'landscape' the last line of the third stanza refers to a landscape painting? I ask because he follows it by saying 'which I could never afford.' In any case, your translation works very well.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the feedback..I think you are quite right...I should have thought about it
ReplyDeletebah bhari sundor hoyechhe. like bhaswatidi I also love the adjective nirupodrob :)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much...
Delete