Sunday, April 9, 2023

AGING WINE

When you said you'll make wine

at home, I wasn't too sure. Now

I know. Memories of a fruit pressed 

to fresh, cold juice, transform into 

an intoxicating elixir. The frothy excess 

of sedimenting sorrows is filtered out.


The deep purple liquid enters bottles

and moves to the cellar to age.

Fine wine, they call it. We call it

nostalgia. We call it love. Accrued

intoxication synthesizes with

living, breathing reality. From

summer's roused heat, life mellows

to autumn's rest-easy vesper song.

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, both the analogy of wine to nostalgia and love, but also the movement from summer to autumn. Very Keatsian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anannya! Or what happens when your spouse takes up wine making as a pandemic hobby and doesn't let go of it. :)

      Delete
  2. As someone whose father used to make his own wine, this really spoke to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! I'm actually quite surprised by how good the finished product turns out. I like my husband's wine more than store-bought now. :)

      Delete