Saturday, April 22, 2023

#21

In my meditation class, I was taught to imagine the 
sound of water whenever I am anxious. I think of a 
river flowing, bubbling as it goes, floating leaves on 
the water, a cascading shade of trees falling softly 
on the earth and laughter, a lot of laughter. 

It is a portending dream, but whatever I have learnt 
about safe spaces I know that they do not consist
of peace. At first. My therapist says, when you finally 
feel safe, you will break down, your body will cease 
its need to keep holding up. 

I know this to be true because I cried at work when
Z called and reminded me of how taken care I was,
how taken care of I am not. People who take you in 
as you are become verandahs you can walk into — 
protected, aromatic — you go to pieces in their midst.

The body holds grief, it keeps the score of pain and 
joy. That’s why they say you should dance, sweat it 
out, make yourself move, however. (There is a reason, 
after all, why athletes cry on international TV after 
putting their bodies through hell.)

I dream about the life I want to live, next to the river 
beyond the veil, even if it means having to let go of
 this ache to keep it all together. I owe it to my being 
— the falling apart of myself, grace of tears, numb 
hands et al. My body is my witness, it records it all.

3 comments:

  1. People who take you in as you are become verandahs you can walk into- wow sameen. What a beautiful image, verandah people with expansive courtyards❣️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us dance, indeed! We were people who were expansive courtyards, remember? So much love to you, Indhu.

      Delete