Friday, April 14, 2023

#13

By now, I would have liked to be married 
and divorced three times just to say things like “my 
first ex-husband used to polish our brass handles on 
weekends at ungodly hours in the morning.” Or to write anecdotal 
long-form essays on the year that I set aside a whole summer for a man 
I loved and cooked obscure dishes for us while scribbling my thoughts 
inside the margins of a stained cookbook. I would say things like — 
the weathered cookbook is lost, that blessed man broke 
my heart, but the summer was a matte-sunlight 
postcard. I would do it all over again. 

By now, I would have liked to tell dinner 
time stories to new friends about the temptation of
remarkable men I have loved — He never asked me to take 
off my lipstick. I was held by the gaze in his perfectly ordinary eyes. 
He held all parts of me with grace even when he didn't. — I would describe 
the rivers we crossed from whimsical to well-adjusted as we bought curtains. 
Or tell you of the grand gestures I performed for him silently. I was giddy, 
unravelled, tangled, undone. He didn't ask me to speak softly, and I 
picked him flowers for him because he deserved 
all the tenderness of my heart. 

By now, I would have liked to stop being 
enshrined in old loves and not consecrate these men 
as otherworldly because "in my memories, he stills hold me 
in the palm of his hands." I wouldn't say how it fell apart but how it was 
held together by the certainty of his practical resolve — one that gathered 
me and my extravagant life, one that could polish brass, paint my nails, 
cross an unruly river -- one that could melt brown sugar which 
we caramelised and poured over the apple crumble I made
for him after I had asked what he'd like for dessert
and he said, “anything you feel like, honey.”

6 comments: