Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Esja From the Traffic Lights

 

 


You can’t always say you’ve seen the light

But it’s not as if the universe isn’t trying.

You’re on your way, what more do you need.

But you’re idling at the crossroads, crying.

You’re not even looking, you’re scrolling

Your facebook feed, whatever it’s selling

You’re buying. I’m not judging; god knows

I feel your need. You don’t want to walk

If you can’t be flying. You can’t always

Say you’ve received a sign,

But it’s not as if you’re even counting.

Its true that there’s a yield board before

That massive uprising of rock, where the light

Seems to pour forth in fountains. But before

That one  – right in front of you – there’s

The figure with a shovel: a sign

That you can move mountains.

4 comments:

  1. The poetic voice here is so captivating. And this line is superb: "But it’s not as if you’re even counting."

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I reworked this one several times. Something I normally don't do. I wasn't sure how to work my way up to that last line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how it's both so pained and musical. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete