Tuesday, April 16, 2024

On Coming Across Some Stanzas on Jane Austen in their 'Letter to Bryon, While Reading 'Letters from Iceland' by WH Auden and Louis MacNiece

 

(1)
These days I read with more prejudice than pride

I find it harder to swallow the chalk with the cheese.

I know it’s been many years since you upped and died,

My dear Byron, but in my hands are Auden and MacNiece,

And their letters to you give me pause, and literary peace.

Since I, being neither Ozyandias nor Don Juan inside,

May spend my unheroic hours in their words, true and tried.

(2)
Mrs Bennet is more in my image, I confess

As I worry over the futures of my kids

Wanting ever more for them, never less

That they might do what I might have done instead of what I did.

Or Mrs Tulliver whose children never did as they were bid,

Sitting among her linens and crockery in distress

Dear George (not Eliot!), does heroism not swell every mother’s breast?

No comments:

Post a Comment