Monday, April 15, 2024

On Reading

Of all the books I’ve collected and not read

or read and not remembered to live

or simply carried with me through

every house of thought, brick and dream

that I’ve wandered through – sometimes

in sleep and sometimes awake, it’s those

books I’ve pressed flowers in, books that

open to leaves – once yellow, now brown

with tiny holes on the edges, flat leaves

thinner than paper, crisp as the day

I picked them up, yet holding together

firmly, my memories of walks with friends

along paths no more tree-lined; books

that yield up receipts of lunch dates

from twelve or fifteen years ago

with loved ones who drifted away

at places that now don’t offer food

but "smart solutions" to remove you

further from your inner garden of being 

yes, it’s those books, friend, that

pull me back to reading, even if such reading

be nothing to do with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment