My mother enters the kitchen after a long time. I
study the folds in the skin of her hands as she prepares
to cook me a meal. How we like to smoothen creases,
rough edges. Rumpled bed sheets, wrinkled office shirts,
the wooden chair to sit on in the balcony. Bumps on the
roads that lead to Mother's house. A broken healthcare system,
the relationship between another daughter and her mother.
I think of the time when these hands were smooth, though
no less fragile. How they whipped up delicacies from different,
shores, known and foreign. How those hands pounded grain,
carried bags laden with vegetables, pulses, rice, flour, flowers,
fish, meat, love. How they turned coarse rice grains
into the smooth batter of fermented dosa. How they
sponged your fevered skin. I return to my present
and hers. She takes her time to soften the dough,
bringing one crease on top of another. As her
small, wrinkly hands work the flour one little fold
at a time, I learn that folds are the best. They yield
the softest bread. A mother's aging, softening love.
what a soft use of folds and creases in preparing and receiving nourishment.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Anannya. :-)
ReplyDelete"How they turned coarse rice grains
ReplyDeleteinto the smooth batter" So beautiful, this whole poem. Thank you for this Bhaswati!
Thanks so much, Charu. :-)
Delete