Today
looking up at the pale dusk sky
I see a flock of cranes
come from nowhere
and gone
before I can dredge up
the memory
of when I saw them last.
Making portents of birds
is an ancient habit.
In another country
in a different life
the sky would fill with bats
as evening neared
and I had to learn to see them
not as warning
but as fact
like tides
like the coming of night.
For the zoroastrians
who return to air
after death
a birdless sky is a karmic loss.
The absence of the omen
an omen still.
If I too
may find meaning
in the birds
perhaps the cranes are
a sign of better things
Sudden lightness.
Unforeseen joy.
Things that know when to leave
and when to arrive.
unforeseen joy :)
ReplyDelete"Sudden lightness" struck me. Such a delicate, calming poem.
ReplyDeletelove this poem.. "the absence of omen and omen still"
ReplyDeletean
Delete